Why Outdoor Time is Important for Kids
Due to the boom in technology, kids are spending more and more time inside in front of video games and smartphones and spending less time outside. Why is that such a big deal?
Why Outdoor Play is Important
American children are busier now than ever before. Between school, extra-curricular activities, and the lure of video games and smartphones, children don’t spend nearly as much time playing outside as kids did years ago.
Studies show that children spend 35 percent less time outside than their parents did. Over 60 percent of parents interviewed said that they spent time outside nearly every day as a child, but said their children only spend about 30 percent of their days outside.
So, why is it such a big deal for children to spend time outside? Studies show that there are numerous benefits for playing outside, including
- Sunshine – Regular exposure to sunshine is necessary for regulating the hormonal system, preventing mood disorders, regulating the sleep-wake cycle, and promoting bone growth and healthy immune function.
- Exercise – Children should get at least an hour of exercise per day, and free play outside encourages this.
- Healthy Risk Taking – Despite parental fear, healthy risk taking is an important part of free play that helps children build confidence and good life skills.
- Appreciation of Nature – Letting children play among dirt, streams, trees, and other natural features instills an appreciation and respect for nature.
Continue a Healthy Lifestyle with Pediatric Chiropractic
As part of a healthy, natural lifestyle, children can benefit from routine visits to a chiropractor. Children have joints, spines, and nervous systems just like adults. As a general rule, childhood can be pretty rough on these systems.
As a child learns to crawl, walk, run, play, and tumble, they can experience shifts in their musculoskeletal system. These physical activities may not seem to cause discomfort, but they can interfere with efficient functioning of the nervous system, leading to headaches, digestive issues, ear infections, and more.
In addition, chiropractic can offer the following benefits to a child’s development:
- Improved Sleep – Adequate sleep is essential for a child’s development. Because chiropractic care works to release stress in the body, it can help improve sleep patterns in children.
- Improved Immune System – Chiropractic care can benefit your child’s immune system by giving support that improves immunity functions.
- Improved Behavior and Attitude – Because chiropractic care can reduce stress and anxiety, it can improve a child’s behavior. When their bodies are developing the right way, they should feel active and happy.
- Improved Nervous System – Chiropractors can make sure your child’s spine and joints are growing correctly, which prevents and treats nervous system issues.
- Improved Brain Development – Chiropractic care is good for overall brain development, because it helps nerves have a strong connection with the rest of the body. Increased brain development promotes better concentration and an improved focus and reduced hyperactivity.
- Helps with Falls and Injuries – Bumps and bruises are almost the norm for kids, and although it’s usually obvious if they have suffered a major injury, it’s almost impossible to tell if they have experienced a micro trauma. Unfortunately, micro traumas can lead to spinal misalignments and increase their chances of long-term health issues. A chiropractor can correct these problems before they become a problem.
- Minimizes the Risk of Injury -Compared to adults, babies and toddlers have more flexible bones. Unfortunately, this doesn’t keep them from getting injured. Regular chiropractic care helps keep the ligaments and joints supple. As your child becomes more mobile, a chiropractor can ensure smoother and easier transitions, leading to fewer injuries.
Pediatric chiropractic visits, along with ensuring your child gets plenty of outdoor play, is a great way to stay on top of your child’s health. Chiropractic care is gentle and safe enough for even small babies, while still being effective. To find out more about the benefits of chiropractic care for your child, contact us today. Prioritize your child’s health. Schedule an appointment online or call 256-721-9696.
This article is for informational purposes only and is not a substitute for in-person advice or care from a medical professional.